Even though it feels crappy to step back and admit some flaw, that’s the first step towards self-improvement -which is a very noble pursuit. You don’t need to achieve perfection before your approach a woman; just honestly work on making improvements. You do want every advantage, don’t you?
- Look at some old pictures. If you still have the same hairstyle, you need to get your ass in a barber’s chair ASAP. An inappropriate coif broadcasts that you’re lamentably out of touch. With a spiffy new doo, you’ll look better, feel better and actually carry yourself better.
- If you’ve got a mullet, or worse yet, a skullet (bald on top, long in back, aka Hulk Hogan), your lack of self awareness is a problem; you are the object of scorn and derision . Same for the comb-over… you’re not fooling anyone, and everyone is laughing at you. Long hair / pony tails are only acceptable if you’re a licensed yoga instructor or a professional musician (keep in mind that even Bon Jovi and Metallica cut their hair). Over 30 and still sporting a mop-top? Its sloppy, my friend. If you’re tired of waiting for the bald spot in back to meet up with your receding hairline, take some initiative and shave your head. Its a lot cooler.
- Pay special attention to your eyebrows, as well as hair in your ears and nose. Invest $15, get a trimmer and use it. Today.
- Facial Hair- some men can get away with it. Most can’t. Its not really a happening look- think of the guys that have facial hair: homeless guys, Mall Santas (see ‘homeless guys’), mountain men, orthodox jews, Colonel Sanders, …. Moustaches are either novelties (outlaw biker Fu-Manchu, Snidley Whiplash) or will make you look like a cop.
- Manicure- some men do, some men don’t; its up to you. At the very least, your nails should be nicely trimmed and free of any grease or dirt.
- Body Hair – There are a dozen different systems to help a guy clean up. But even if you embrace your hairy-guy genetics, you MUST to clean up the hair on your neck and shoulders. Stripping off all body hair is only acceptable for competitive body-builders and swimmers.
- NEVER use Nair on your apple bag. It’ll give you the worst rash of your life, and it’ll bake your apples.
- This one is easy. Use soap and water. Apply antiperspirant. Brush, floss, gargle. Wear a whisper of unobtrusive cologne (I own several brands; the super-expensive fragrances don’t attract any more poon than Axe body spray)
- Imagine being with the girl you desire, deep in the first serious make-out session…. think about how intoxicating she smells, how soft her skin feels, the delicate taste of her lips….she undoes her belt, and opens the top button of her jeans… she helps you take your shirt off…. now imagine her face as she looks you over.
- Exactly. Getting in shape doesn’t happen by accident. The people constantly looking for break-through supplements or magic berries or the “fast, fun, easy way to shed pounds and tone up,” are either ignorant, lazy or both. We’re all grown-ups here…. You know that if you want results, you need to put in the effort.
- The formula is simple: Adjust your calories and work out. Be disciplined in your diet. Train strenuously and consistently.
- While sports are a fun way to stay active, there’s no substitute for working out. Improve your aerobic stamina with running, biking, swimming, skipping rope, etc. Stretch and increase your flexibility. The cornerstone of a fitness program is well-balanced progressive resistance training regimen. That’s the key to reshaping your body. (I’ll be blogging more about this in the future).
Attire / Accessories
- Remember when Miami Vice was popular? And how some guys built their wardrobe around that show? Remember when the show fell of the radar, then got canceled, and those guys were STILL wearing their pastel sport coats?
- Go through your clothes, and ruthlessly apply the 80/20 rule. That means get rid of the 80% of the shit that’s out of style, or that you never wear, or that doesn’t fit. Give it to Goodwill. Next, re-evaluate the 20% that you do wear and get rid of most of that, too.
- Surf men’s fashion magazines online, and get a feel for what’s stylish. Build your new wardrobe slowly.. no need to drop a wad of cash in a crazy shopping spree. Many fine stores have personal assistants that can guide you in the right direction.
- Accessories. Bling? Please don’t. Gaudy is never in.. Limit your rings and bracelets and necklaces. Loading up on jewelery is tacky.
- And while you might be in the position to buy an expensive watch something in the $30 range will be more tasteful, durable and functional.
Bearing. How you carry yourself. Your bearing is comprised by a lot of important factors, especially non verbal communication. Body language, posture, gait, awareness of space boundaries, facial expression and eye contact are critical.
- Stand Tall. Even though you want to project a relaxed vibe, do not slouch.
- Don’t fidget or make sudden jerky movements.
- Do not compress yourself- take up your full measure of space, but be mindful not to infringe on anyone else’s.
- Smile! Frequently. Sincerely. A counterfeit smile is easy to detect, and actually looks creepy. A genuine smile engages the eyes, not just the corners of the mouth. (My trick is to think of something that’s funny or wonderful and fix it in my mind). No need to grin every second; you’re not an idiot.
- Social Skills. How you relate to others. Of course you can get along with your friends and co-workers and family, but if you want to improve your love life, you need to take things to the next level. My first suggestion is to get your hands on “How To Win Friends and Influence People” by Dale Carnagie. The wisdom contained in this book is timeless. Its THE Master Text on interpersonal relations. There are plenty of other good books and programs available, too.
- Preparation. Your game-plan. Tactics and Techniques. Personally, I’m not an advocate of the strict procedural approach to picking up girls. But I do recognize that you need to build a solid theoretical framework before you can break the rules. I’ve purchased several PUA courses, attended two different boot-camps and eventually figured out what works for me. I’ll also tell you this… the technical / tactical stuff won’t work unless you take care of the other stuff first.
Remember, you own your thoughts, actions and feelings. Your happiness doesn’t depend upon anyone else’s approval. If you’re ever mindful of your blessings and continually strive to improve yourself, getting girls will be a snap.